Monday, January 14, 2008

Boxed In

I'm missing a chasuna tonight. It's not the first chasuna this winter that I'm missing, and it certainly won't be the last, although it is probably the one I am most disappointed to miss of all the chasunas I've been invited to throughout the winter zman. It's yet another chasuna that I'm missing because it is taking place in America, and I am in Israel.

I have to admit, it makes me feel kind of boxed in, as if I'm living in a different world than my family and friends back home. I mean, I love living here in Eretz Yisroel, and to a certain extent I'm still very much in contact with America - I can still call, email, or SMS people just as if I were in the states - but there are certain barriers that cannot easily be broken. Such as the barrier of location, of being - seemingly - in what may be perceived as "the wrong place at the wrong time".

It takes missing a special event like this to really hammer home the fact that after all is said and done, despite the fact that home is just a phone call away, the Atlantic Ocean is still a formidable barrier that is expensive and time-consuming to cross. And unless the occasion is special enough to warrant it, the barrier will simply not be crossed.

Am I upset? Do I regret being here, instead of America? Of course not. I have the privilege of living here in the holy land, and I am loving every minute of it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But there are definitely sacrifices to be made, and this is one of them, perhaps even one of the smaller ones. In fact, I am thankful to Hashem for providing me with yet another opportunity, another stepping stone along the path of learning to appreciate that which I do have. After all, there are many possible reasons for a person to miss a wedding, many reasons that are far more mundane. Some that are even dreadful and tragic, chas v'shalom.

I am happy for the chosson and kallah. I am happy for their families. But most of all, I am happy that my reason for not being there is a privileged one.

Mazel tov!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAMESH MOIREDIG!!
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS ONE. i DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE STATING WHY, I WILL TELL YOU THAT IN PERSON, (ON THE 'PHONE).
VZ

Avi S said...

I don't mean to rub it in but the chasunah was one of the most lively ones I ever attended. Shlomie Daskal sang (he was unreal) and the dancing didn't stop until 12:15PM and even then it was as lebidik as when it first started. The Mitzvah Tanz ended at 3:15AM and all us litvaks got to dance in our first ever M.T. Our tefillah is that the zivug should be a kesher shel kayamah and may they be a source of nachas to all.

PS The choson, Yitzi, had a sefer of his own chiddushim printed and given out to all attendees.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS ONE. I HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD WRITTEN ANOTHER BLOG SINCE "LAST YEAR'S NEWS" AND I WAS VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. YOUR POSITIVE OUTLOOK WARMS MY HEART.KEEP IT UP!

Anonymous said...

avi1:

Well, if you "don't want to rub it in"... then DON'T! ;-)

The dancing finished 12:15 PM?! Wow, it must've been really leibidig if it finished early the next afternoon... :-P